Tips on How to Design a Website That is SEO Friendly.
Five basics tips on designing SEO friendly website.
- Title tag is one of the most important ones. It should have all your keywords listed in it. Same goes for the meta description of the page. One of the common mistakes regarding meta tags, is staffing those with random keywords. Meta tags are read by people and they should always make sense for the reader first, with the search engines in the back of your mind.
- All the images should have Alt tags, giving the description to the search engines of what the image is about. Using your targeted keywords as your Alt tags (again no keyword staffing) is also helpful for ranking purposes.
- Content on the page should be relevant to what is the page about and there should be enough content for the page, not only to be noticed by the search engines, but also get ranked high in search results. If you have good quality, original content it could also contribute to better ranking, as some Internet users may link to your site, if they consider your content link worthy.
- When giving names for your pages, using relevant names will help bring your page a little closer to the top of the search results. For example, the following page name dos not describe well what the page is about ".php?mode=viewprofile&u=10489". This is a dynamically generated page that search engines can read, but it probably will never get ranked very high. An example of a page with a name for the page that makes it easy for the search engines to read and index would be "/designing-seo-friendly-website.html".
- Some business owners build websites for their business using free website builder that comes with their hosting plan. Often advertised as SEO friendly drag and drop type of website builders are usually an SEO disaster. For any website that is expected to produce any kind of profit, clean HTML and CSS is preferred. To check if your website needs improvement in coding you can use http://validator.w3.org/ for HTML, and http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ for CSS.
There is a long list of things to keep in mind when designing an SEO friendly website. Mentioned above are just the most basic and most often neglected ones.